Hallgrímskirkja church is a national monument, dedicated to the sacred poet of Iceland, Hallgrímur Pétursson. The parish is part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Iceland. Hallgrímskirkja towers over the centre of Reykjavik, and its 73m (240ft) tower provides a wonderful view of the city. Construction began in 1945 and after 41 years, the church was finally consecrated on October 26, 1986. State architect Guðjón Samúelsson (1887-1950) designed the church, which stands on top of Skólavörðuholt hill. The inspiration for the church’s design is stated to be both from naturally forming basalt formations as well as a volcanic eruption. The enormous concert organ was inaugurated in 1992, constructed by Johannes Klais Organworks from Germany. Since 1982, Hallgrímskirkja’s Friends of the Arts Society has promoted rich and varied artistic events in the church. A festival of sacred arts is held every other year while the International organ summer is held annually.